Ready for your big OE? Welcome to Nannies Abroad
Nanny or Au Pair In Canada
Kiwis are so lucky to have access to the 12 month working holiday visa for Canada – and what better way to start or finish your O.E. than as a nanny or Au Pair in Canada?
To be eligible for the Working Holiday Visa, you must:
- be an NZ or Australian citizen;
- be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive) at the time the application is received. Your visa application must be stamped as received by the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney on or after the 18th birthday, or before the 31st birthday;
- have the equivalent of C$ 2,500 to help cover the expenses at the beginning of the stay;
- be prepared to take out health-care insurance for the duration of the stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enters Canada;
- pay a participation fee to the Consulate;
- have childcare experience (preferably) outside the family and at least 2 non-related character references;
- have completed the equivalent of Canadian secondary school education (to Year 12);
- provide a clear medical exam and criminal background check
Au Pairs are paid a weekly wage and work between 25 and 45 hours depending on the host family’s needs. Wages (live in) can be anywhere between $10.20 per hour up to $11.00 per hour depending on the province your family lives in. Room and board are deducted from your wage and wages, working hours and room and board vary depending on the province. This gives you a net wage of around $1200CAD per month live in. Visa processing time is about 2 months. Au Pairs are considered part of the family and are usually placed in metropolitan areas such as Toronto, Vancouver or Ottawa.
The great thing about living in with a family is that you have hardly any living costs. Your room and board is already deducted from your wage (no more than $430CAD per month) – to live in a flat in the same area would cost about $1500CAD. For a 45 hour week with all deductions made including room and board and medical insurance, you would receive a net wage of $1200CAD per month.
You’ll also get a Completion Bonus at the end of your stay. The 9 month Completion Bonus is $350CAD and the 12 month Completion Bonus is $600CAD.
You are free to do as you please in your free time (off hours), and a lot of the time the family may let you borrow the car on a mutual agreement. The pocket money you get per month is more than enough to spend weekends away, spend time with friends at coffee shops or the movies, and to do all the touristy things. Don’t forget Canada has some of the best Ski Fields in the world.
How To Apply
You must complete our application form and attend an interview. We have interviews based throughout NZ and your nearest one will contact you after we have received your application in full.
With the application you will need to include